I’m scrolling through England and Wales Criminal Registers on Ancestry.com. I need one of my characters to serve time and wondered what the penalty would be. Boy, interesting read! Here’s a few examples:
- Larceny – Ranges from 3-6 months.
- Attempting to commit suicide – 2 months
- Attempting sexual relations with an underage child – 1 year
- Embezzlement as a servant – 6 months
- Maliciously killing a horse – 1 year
- (No laughing at this one) Adjudged as an incorrigible rogue – 9 months.
- Attempting to commit buggery (that’s an old term for homosexual acts) – 10 years
- Obtaining goods by false pretenses – 3 months
- Keeping a disorderly house (conduct of inhabitants are a public nuisance) – 1 year
- Keeping a house of ill fame (brothel/prostitution) – 18 months
- Assaulting a police officer – 3 to 6 months
Well, it’s an interesting read for sure. I can’t imagine the horrors of serving time in a Victorian-era prison.